Part-Time Administrative Assistant: Mellon Mays Graduate Initiatives Program
The Social Science Research Council seeks a part-time Administrative Assistant for its Mellon Mays Graduate Initiatives Program. This position provides support for all staff members and events associated with the program.
The Social Science Research Council (SSRC) is an independent, international, nonprofit organization devoted to the advancement of interdisciplinary research in the social sciences through a wide variety of workshops and conferences, fellowships and grants, summer training institutes, scholarly exchanges, research, and publications.
The Mellon Mays Graduate Initiatives Program aims to address the problem of underrepresentation among college and university faculties by providing support for minority scholars and others with a demonstrated commitment to this goal. To that end, the Mellon Mays Graduate Initiatives Program holds several events each year for its fellows, as well as providing annual grant opportunities. The Administrative Assistant will provide support for all staff members and events associated with the program. This position will require energy; enthusiasm; strong interpersonal, organizational, and problem-solving skills; and creativity and flexibility.
- BA preferred; will accept AA with experience in administration.
- High level of proficiency in all MS Office applications as well as database and Internet applications.
- Superior organizational skills with attention to detail.
- Ability to multitask and prioritize daily activities to meet competing deadlines.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work both independently and collaboratively.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- High level of proficiency with communications technology and social media.
- Experience with website maintenance.
- Experience in maintaining expense accounts and budgeting.
- Experience in data entry and database queries.
- Provide logistical support for program conferences and seminars.
- Maintain program files online and in hardcopy.
- Manage program calendar.
- Process data for budget spreadsheets and contact database.
- Sort and distribute incoming regular mail, packages, and courier deliveries.
- Process payments to vendors and others.
- Process monthly credit card statements.
- Order and organize office supplies.
- Maintain inventory of supplies.
- Write and distribute meeting notes and official meeting minutes.
- Maintain website.
Terms, Salary and Benefits
Pay rate will be $15–$18 per hour (2–3 days per week) commensurate with experience.
This position begins on or after May 1, 2017. To apply, send a detailed letter describing your background and interest in the position (explaining where you viewed this posting), resume, and three references in PDF format to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include “Mellon Mays PT Admin Assistant” in the subject line of your e-mail.
The Social Science Research Council is an Equal Opportunity Employer.